Training low rep strength is challenging when all you have is some light weights and body weight exercises to use.
I like to tackle this problem with some low rep, sub-maximal training. Pick exercises that are challenging for around 6-8 reps. I would recommend using this workout between some higher intensity workouts.
Time: 60 minutes
Equipment: Bands, Mats, Cones
At their own pace clients will need to complete 5 reps of 5 different exercises in a circuit a total of 5 times.
To set up create 5 stations in a row 5 metres apart. Once clients get to the end they must run back to the start.
Round 1 – Regular or Hard
Everyone must complete 5 reps of each exercise. They have a choice to do the regular or hard exercise (marked with the square brackets).
- Push ups [Clapping push ups]
- Reverse Lunges [Jumping Lunges]
- 5 sec Plank [Plank w/ lateral hand tap]
- 5 sec Side Plank [Gravediggers]
- Burpees [Marine Burpees – lie down on your stomach at the bottom and raise arms above head]
Round 2 – 3, 4 or 5
Assign clients 3, 4 or 5 reps depending on their fitness level. They must complete the following circuit performing that many reps on each exercise for a total of 5 rounds.
- Band/DB Upright Rows
- Frog Squats
- Oblique Chest Lift
- Yoga Push ups [Hindu Push ups]
- Walking Lunge
Round 3 – Buddy Finisher
Clients pair up for these exercises. Complete 5 rounds, there is only 3 exercises for this round.
- Buddy towel/band rows
- Wheel barrow walks (5m)
- Partner squats – hold hands, lean back and go low on those squats
Image: JD Hancock