The tabata workout I posted a couple weeks ago got me thinking. How could I run a similar drill with out a timer? How could I free my eyes up to spend more time running a good workout and less time… timing?
This workout is the result of this pondering. It’s a great for beginners and advanced alike.
Self Timed Tabata
Type: Aerobic, HIT
Time: 60 minute (45 minute with just 6 rounds per exercise)
Set three cones in a line, each 20 metres apart. At the bast cone set up your mats and other equipment that you need.
This workout runs just like a tabata drill. The only difference is that instead of timing with a stop watch, clients will run to a cone and back.
Split the group into 8 teams. If you don’t have enough people split them into 4 teams or 6 teams or whatever works for you. Less then 8 teams will just result in more running.
Here’s the order of action. I thought dot points might make it easier to follow.
- Clients line up in their teams along the base cone mats.
- All clients start doing star jumps except for the team on the right which run to the far cone and back.
- When they get back they yell ‘STOP’ and then intermediately run to the closer cone and back (the middle cone). The rest of the clients stop and rest.
- Once they get back they yell ‘GO’ and start doing star jumps while the next team along begins the run.
- Continue this stop/go tabata style intervals until all teams have run or if you have less then 8 teams, until 8 rounds have been completed.
- Take a short 30 second break to demonstrate the next exercise and then continue. Take a longer drink break every two exercises.
*Please comment below if that makes no sense.
Run the above process with each of the following exercises:
Round 1** (example used above) – Star Jumps and Mountain Climbers
Round 2 – 1.5 rep squats – squat with a pulse at the bottom
Round 3 – Super crunch – left oblique crunch, right oblique crunch, double crunch
Round 4 – Hand release push ups
Round 5 – Split squats (alternate legs each round)
Round 6** – Plank and Partner Sit Ups – lock legs for sit ups
Round 7* – 5 push ups, 5 squats, 10m shuttle*
*Bonus round. No timing on this last round. Just do 8 rounds at your own pace.
** For rounds with two exercises, have clients alternate exercises each work period. Eg. Plank, rest, sit ups, rest, plank etc.
Stretch out after your last round.
Hand Release Push Ups