Set up circuit stations in a large square not forgetting dynamic exercises such as jerry can carry and sprints clients can be partnered up if even numbers. Using a large dice you can move the clients to their next station i.e.a roll of the dice shows 4 so they move 4 places around the square. Make sure you have a jail station where burpees or get ups are performed and a station where playing cards are placed such as hearts = push ups ,diamonds =squat jumps etc .time per station should be 60 secs, this can be a lot of fun.
Of course, like you, I thought this was freakin’ awesome idea! – and I have been hanging out to share my take of it with you.
Time: 60 minutes
500m group run.
Core warm up:
Set up mats parallel in a row, there should be one mat between two people. Clients take it in turns doing the core exercise and resting. Use a repetition ladder starting at 2 and going up by 2 each round until they hit 10 reps. Then they should minus 2 reps each round back down to 2 reps.
- Round 1: Rest – Plank. Core – standing knee to elbow
- Round 2: Rest – jog on spot. Core – Knees up crunches
This game works just like the board game Monopoly except instead of being able to buy properties, clients must do the activity on the card before rolling the dice again. Once a team makes it around and past GO they get 1 point.
Set Up and Rules
Note: You will need extra time to set up this workout, but it is well worth it.
Set up circuit stations in a large square. The square circuit will consist of 12 stations – 4 corner stations and 8 “streets” (2 streets between each corner). I wrote down the street names and exercises on the back of a laminated piece of paper.
As you lay out the square, try and keep 3-5 metres between each station in case you end up with multiple groups on one station.
I used a small white board as a flat surface and a large rubber 6 sided die. Clients could mark off their points on the whiteboard when they pass GO.
- Clients will be in partners or threes (fitter clients in pairs). I only had one group of three.
- One person from each team will run into the centre and roll the die to decide what the next station will be. (eg. a roll of the dice shows 4 so they move 4 places around the square).
- After the starting roll teams move at their own pace, sending in one person to roll the die afta
- Rolling the same number on the die two rounds in a row will send you straight to jail (do not pass go etc.)
- Clients only do burpees in Jail IF they have been sent there, not if they are just visiting. If they are just visiting the simply roll the die again.
- Stop the game every 10 minutes for drink break. To keep their motivation up send the whole group past GO for an extra point on their way to grab their water bottles. Start everyone back at GO on the next round.
Corner 1 (Pass GO) – Keep on rolling, one point scored for your team.
Street 1 (Band Alley) – 20x band curls, 20x upright rows
Street 2 (Squat Street) – 10x close feet squats, 10x sumo squats, 10x regular squats
Corner 2 (Jail Station) – Roll again unless you have been sent to jail. Clients in jail must perform 15 burpees before rolling the dice once more.
Street 3 (Rope Road) – 15x rope slams (each person)
Street 4 (Push Up Place) – 10x close push ups, 10x regular push ups, 10x push up pulses
Corner 3 (Free Parking) – A trick! No free money here, just a challenge. 20x 180 degree touch jump squats
Street 5 (Tyre Trail) – Shuttle the stack of tyres 15m (one at a time per person) from one stack to the other.
Street 6 (Lunge Laneway) – 30m walking lunge
Corner 4 (Go to Jail!) – Go straight to corner 2
Street 7 (T Junction) – 20x T-Pushups
Street 8 (Park Lane) – 3x laps of the Monopoly Square
Flaws and things you might consider changing
- Rolling 6 on the die when you were in Jail sent you straight back to Jail again. I had one pair do this 4 times in a row. You might want to change this.
- To speed things up you could change the 1 on the die to another number (so clients could not move just one square).
- If you land directly on GO you get an extra point.
- Instead of going to Jail for rolling the same number twice you could go directly to GO.
- Unfortunately in my version their are no cards as I had another card game workout set up for my clients earlier in the same week that I ran this so I didn’t include any cards in my Bootcamp Monopoly, but this is something you could add as Rubin suggests.
- Use your imagination!
Let me know if I missed anything guys or if you need something explained. This is a serious kick butt workout. If you want more, join our emailing list.
Image: Mark Strozier
P.S. The next competition is coming end of September. More news on Friday!
Get more like this each week
If you liked this post, sign up to the email list and get new ideas sent to you weekly!