Yesterday was the End Of The World here in Australia. Apparently someone stuffed something up because it didn’t end up happening. Nonetheless, my Mums and I celebrated with an End Of The World preparation workout.
End Of The World
Goal: Survive the end of the world
Time: 60 minutes
Equipment: 10,000 cans of peaches, 5,000 cans of beans, Exercise bands,
500-1000m run. 8 mobility exercises of your choice.
Part 1 – Core
A strong core is key to getting out of tight spots, lifting heavy things and running. All necessary in an end of the world situation. We began with working on this first.
Complete four rounds of the following circuit. Do 10 reps on each exercise unless otherwise specified.
- 2m lateral plank walk (once each way)
- Crunch with leg extension (10 each leg)
- Oblique crunch (10 each side)
- Plank with alternating shoulder tap (10 total)
Part 2 – Duck For Cover
Complete the following circuit three times. Spend 30 seconds on each exercise.
- Push Ups
- Band Shoulder Presses
Immediately after the last set of planks go into some Under & Overs. You have two options with this part:
- Pair clients up and have them complete 10 reps in each role.
- Line your clients up on the ground shoulder to shoulder. All clients go into a pike (downwards dog) while one client on the end crawls under them all to the other end. Once that client gets to the end they get down on the ground and the next client starts moving underneath. Repeat for a set distance and then go back the other way.
On the way back clients should go ‘Over’ instead of’ ‘Under’ by hopping or jumping over the other clients. Clients on the ground should be in plank or holding the bottom position of a push up.
Part 3 – Natural Disaster Circuit
Complete the following circuit three times. In the first round do 30 reps each, in the second round do 20 reps each and on the last round do 10 reps each.
- Earthquakes (MedBall Slams)
- Godzilla Lunges (Walking Lunges – 30 reps total)
- Volcano Push Ups (Pike Push Ups)
- Meteor Strikes (Big Jump Squats)
Part 4 – Run For Your Lives
Set two markers 12-15 metres apart. At one marker have your clients line up side by side and then lie on the ground. On your command ‘GO!’ all clients are to get up and sprint to the other marker and then back (laying on the ground once they get back).
Vary the amount of time you let them rest between runs, sometimes yell GO as soon as their hips touch the ground. Complete 10 sprints total.
Stretch and discuss the best shoes for outrunning Zombies.
Merry Christmas to you all! Sign up to our email list for all of our new workouts in 2013 (and one more next week). -Kyle