This workout is an entry in our annual Bootcamp Ideas competition from Valerie Stewart.
Workout type: Muscular Endurance, High Intensity
Length: 60 minutes
Functional Strength and Power…Oh My!
I. Warm up:
Treadmill, laps or similar cardio equipment for 5-10 minutes
II. Dynamic stretching:
- High knees
- Hip circles
- Arm circles
- Instep lunge
- Heel touch front
- Hamstring kicks back.
III. Ab warm up:
Pilates leg series including 30 seconds of each, on back.
- Single knee pull
- Bicycle crosses
- Single leg scissors
- Double knee grabs
Complete 2 sets.
Depending on size 2 – 4 people in each station.
A. Functional movements:
Do each exercise for 50 seconds with a 10 second break, single leg moves 25 secs per leg. Modifying with lighter weight. break when needed. 3 times through. Big pause after each rotation. Rest at end before moving on.
- Hinge: Deadlift (progressing weight with each set)
- Push: Offset med ball pushups (med ball under one hand) pushup, roll ball to other hand, pushup, repeat
- Lunge: Bulgarian Split Squat with foot on bench (aerobic step)
- Pull: Standing Row with dumbells
B. Combo Power moves:
Due to the intensity of these moves. Do each for 20 seconds with 10 second break. straight through 2 sets (Tabata style). Staggering members to start 2 to 4 at each station to use less equipment and rotate through. After 1st Tabata break for 2 minutes then repeat.
- Squat curl press with dumb bells.
- Long Jump 4x forward, shuffle back
- Kettlebell swing (Russian style to chest height)
V. Ab Finish:
Plank series. 30 sec each.
- Elbow plank
- Knee pulls (slow mountain climbers),
- Suicide pushup (elbow to hand)
- Elbow plank hip drops. (depending on group take a 15 second break after each or push through)
Complete 2 sets.
VI. Deep stretch and cool down
I am the group fitness manager and certified personal trainer at Duvall Fitness. I teach 3 bootcamps per week. Depending on weather, because Duvall is in Western Washington where it is not always warm and sunny, we meet indoors AND outdoors. This workout is an indoor circuit.
Otherwise sign up to the mailing list below to get access to all of the competition entries and cast your vote.
Get more like this each week
If you liked this post, sign up to the email list and get new ideas sent to you weekly!
Guest submissions are workouts shared by awesome trainers from all around the world. You can read a bit more about this author under the workout above.. To become one of these awesome trainers why don’t you submit one of your own?