Trying to think of an easy to organise, high intensity cardio session that requires no equipment, and will quickly have your clients out of breath and working hard?
Look no further than the simple – yet challenging – hill sprints! You can easily get a one hour session out of hill sprints that is challenging enough for your fit clients, and with enough variety to keep your members from getting bored.
Depending on the geography of your training venue, most groups will have a perfect hill nearby. What you are looking for is a hill that is 30 – 50 metres long, at a steep gradient, with room for several people to run up at once side by side (not a main road!). It works well if this is within 1 – 2 kms of your normal training venue, as jogging there and back can be your warmup and cooldown.
The benefits of hills training are substantial:
- It lends itself to effective HIIT training, as quite often you sprint up the hill and walk down
- It gives your body substantial EPOC
- Great to improve your speed and sprinting technique
- Great for improving muscular endurance for any serious runners in your group
- Easy to manage differing fitness levels, as there are regular breaks in the session and the difficulty can easily be changed by giving clients a different distance to run to.
Setup: [Read more…]