This next to no equipment workout is a a bit of a new twist on your typical circuit workout. Get the clients fired up and excited before hand and your sure to have a good workout.
If you find the pace is lacking amongst your clients, set up a bit of competition between two different pairs to see who can complete the most rounds. Also don’t be afraid to jump in and show them at what speed you want them to do squats (fast and low!).
Keep an eye out for chatty pairs, tell them they can talk when the round is over.
AMRAP Pairs Challenge
Duration: 60 minutes
Take clients on a 5 minute jog.
Complete 30 metres of each: bear crawl, power skip, back pedal, reverse bear crawl, high knees
- Set up 6 cones in a circle.
- Have clients pair up with someone of a similar fitness level.
- In their pairs clients are to complete as many rounds as possible of the circuit in 7 minutes.
- One client is to perform the active rest exercise (the exercise in brackets while the other performs the main exercise.
- Once both have completed the main exercise they move onto the next station.
- No rest = both clients perform the main exercise together.
Make sure to demonstrate and practice the exercises as a group before the start.
Upper body circuit
- 10 bodysaw planks (no rest)
- 5 left arm circle pushups (left side plank)
- 5 right arm circle pushups (right side plank)
- 1 straight arm clock (no rest)
- 15 band curls (super crunch)
- 15 ground dips (plank)
Repeat circuit with aim to beat or equal previous AMRAP score.
Left arm circle pushup: Perform a push up then keeping you body steady lift your left arm and move it in a large semicircle up towards the sky and then back down completing a circle.
Straight arm clock: Start in a push up position. Keep your feet in the same spot as your walk your hands around in a 360 degree circle. From above you should look like the arm of a clock.
Super crunch: Lie on your back and perform an oblique crunch. Then perform an oblique crunch in the opposite direction. Then lift both knees as you come up for a normal crunch. That’s one super crunch.
Lower body circuit
This circuit works the same as above but with lower body exercises.
- 10 Left lateral lunges (isometric lunge with left knee forward)
- 10 Right lateral lunges (isometric lunge with right knee forward)
- 10 donkey kicks (no rest)
- 10 squats (isometric squat)
- 10 toyota jump squats (supine hip extension hold)
- 10 squat thrusts (no rest)
Toyota jump squats: Squat down, touch the ground and then explode upwards rasing your hands over your heads. Just like the Toyota commercials.
Repeat circuit with aim to beat or equal previous score.
Stretch out both upper and lower body well.
To get more workouts as they get posted sign up to the email list and have them delivered to your inbox.
Image: Liam Q