This month on The Trainers Tribe podcast we’ve been sharing the best ways we believe in for trainers to find and keep clients.
As we are wrapping up the season we put it out to the listeners, what are some things that have helped them find and/or keep clients? We’ll be sharing their responses in Monday’s episode but for now I wanted to share what one trainer said.
Patti Wilkins from Body Rite PT told me about a Sunday Family Bootcamp session she runs where kids and partners are invited too. She runs special workouts for these that all levels and ages can participate in. It’s been a great success for her (28 attendees for below’s workout).
Recently she ran a Survivor themed session with 10 different bootcamp games. Here it is for this week’s workout.
Thanks for sharing Patti!
Survivor Team Challenge
We had 2 teams of 14 participants each, one Blue team, one Orange team. A point was awarded for each game win and recorded on a white board. For every win that team received a “reward” depending on the next challenge eg “a head start” or “30 sec rest for one DB holder”. The team with the most points at the end are the overall Survivors.
Equipment: Cones, 2 Hoops one blue, one orange, 4 Buckets 2 blue 2 orange, 60 tennis balls, 2 battle ropes, DB’s, 30 Coloured and patterned bean bags, 3 tyres painted blue one side orange the other side, Shoe laces enough for 2 for each participant.
Workout length: 90 minutes
Partners facing each other 1mtr apart. One ball between 2. Throw to partner, both side shuffle for 3 throw again, side shuffle back for 3 throw. Continue for 3-5 minutes
Form a circle. Everyone on in a plank rock position. One person commences duck, duck, goose. If you are tagged as goose you jump up and try to beat the tagger back to your spot. 5 minutes.
- Thread the Hoop – 1 Hula hoop for each team. Mark out a large circle with cones. Teams stand side by side with arms outstretched holding hands with monkey grip. In turn they must get their body through the hoop without letting go of their neighbour. Once their neighbour has stepped through the hoop they run to the other end of the line. Teams will travel in a different direction around the circle, passing behind or in front of the other teams as they progress. 1st team back to starting point is the winner.
- Head down bum up tunnel – 2 teams, each team has a bucket 10 mtr ahead of teams with 30 tennis balls, one empty bucket 10 mtrs behind teams. Each team member stands side by side so shoulders are touching. Bending forward place hands down to form a tunnel. One at a time each member commando crawls through tunnel & runs to bucket and collects one tennis ball, commando crawls back through the tunnel & runs to the end bucket to deposit the ball running back to their place in the tunnel, then next person goes. 1st team to get all their balls back is the winner.
- You can’t catch me – One battle rope for each team held on the shoulder. One team will run clockwise while the other runs anti-clockwise around oval or field. The aim is to catch the other team by tagging the last member of that team.
- Stay Strong – 2 teams in line facing each other. Each member holds one DB overhead in a static hold. They must not change hands or bend their elbow. Last team holding DB with correct technique is the winner.
- Hide & seek – 3 identical sets of 10 bean bags of different colours and patterns. Set one lot up in the order you want as the display image. The other 2 sets are hidden under 30 cones scattered over the oval (so some cones will have none). One player at a time from each team will run out and search for the first bean bag in the display set. If player brings back the wrong one they must take it back and put it under an empty cone and do 3 push ups before their next team member can search. Waiting team members alternate between 10 reverse lunges and 10 prisoner squats until it is their turn. 1st team to get all the bean bags back in the identical order as the display is the winner.
- Last Pair standing – 2 teams facing each other in a line. With arms stretched out at shoulder level they hold a DB between each pair of outstretched hands in an isometric hold. You can vary weights of DB’s for individual strength but try to have the same total weight for each team. 1st team to have a member drop their arms is out and other team wins.
- The Breaker – 2 teams , 3 tyres with different colour each side. We had orange for the orange team, blue for the blue team. At the same time one member of each team has 25 secs to run out through a maze to the 3 tyres and flip them to their colour. They can flip as many times as the can in their 25 secs. When their 25 secs is up, they run back and tag the next team member. Allocate an exercise to those waiting to run. When final team members have run majority of tyre colours facing upwards wins.
- Leap Frog – Two teams crouched in frog position one behind the other. Mark a point 30-50mts in front of teams (we had a wall). On go team members start leap frogging over from the rear of the team. Crouch down when at the front and the next in line goes. 1st team to get to the marker wins.
- Monkey Tails – 2 teams, everyone starts with two shoe laces tucked into the side of their tights or shorts. Define area they can work in for challenge. 5 minute limit. Aim is try and get the opposing teams shoe laces and put them in your team hoop (or bucket) without them getting your laces. If you lose both of your laces and want to take a lace from the opposing teams hoop you have to do 5 Burpees , tuck it in again and go back into the challenge.
- Cone wars – One team either side of a dividing line. Have an equal number of cones scattered on each side to the line. Teams have a 3 minute limit to throw as many cones to the other side as possible. No transgressing over the dividing line! At the end of 3 minutes count the number of cones on each side. Team with the least cones on their side is the winner.
Ninja Star Wars:
I make Ninja stars by cutting different coloured washing up sponges into strips. Bind 4 different colours together with an elastic band. Separate them a little to form a star. Have them soaking in a tub of water. Place the tub in the middle of your people. Free for all Ninja star fight!! Great for cooling off! You can pick up thrown stars and re-throw. We go for about 5 mins, sometimes more as people love it and they work really hard throwing and avoiding getting hit.
Mobility cool down and stretch
Got a question about this workout or for Patti? Ask below and I’ll let her know.