The tabata workout I posted a couple weeks ago got me thinking. How could I run a similar drill with out a timer? How could I free my eyes up to spend more time running a good workout and less time… timing?
This workout is the result of this pondering. It’s a great for beginners and advanced alike.
Self Timed Tabata
Type: Aerobic, HIT
Time: 60 minute (45 minute with just 6 rounds per exercise)
Set three cones in a line, each 20 metres apart. At the bast cone set up your mats and other equipment that you need.
This workout runs just like a tabata drill. The only difference is that instead of timing with a stop watch, clients will run to a cone and back.
Split the group into 8 teams. If you don’t have enough people split them into 4 teams or 6 teams or whatever works for you. Less then 8 teams will just result in more running.
Here’s the order of action. I thought dot points might make it easier to follow.
- Clients line up in their teams along the base cone mats.
- All clients start doing star jumps except for the team on the right which run to the far cone and back.
- When they get back they yell ‘STOP’ and then intermediately run to the closer cone and back (the middle cone). The rest of the clients stop and rest.
- Once they get back they yell ‘GO’ and start doing star jumps while the next team along begins the run.
- Continue this stop/go tabata style intervals until all teams have run or if you have less then 8 teams, until 8 rounds have been completed.
- Take a short 30 second break to demonstrate the next exercise and then continue. Take a longer drink break every two exercises.
*Please comment below if that makes no sense.
Run the above process with each of the following exercises:
Round 1** (example used above) – Star Jumps and Mountain Climbers
Round 2 – 1.5 rep squats – squat with a pulse at the bottom
Round 3 – Super crunch – left oblique crunch, right oblique crunch, double crunch
Round 4 – Hand release push ups
Round 5 – Split squats (alternate legs each round)
Round 6** – Plank and Partner Sit Ups – lock legs for sit ups
Round 7* – 5 push ups, 5 squats, 10m shuttle*
*Bonus round. No timing on this last round. Just do 8 rounds at your own pace.
** For rounds with two exercises, have clients alternate exercises each work period. Eg. Plank, rest, sit ups, rest, plank etc.
Stretch out after your last round.
Hand Release Push Ups
If your clients enjoyed this workout and you are looking for more workouts like it, the easiest way to get them is to join the Bootcamp Ideas mailing list. Sign up here.