This workout is an entry to this year’s Bootcamp Ideas Competition. It has been submitted by Lisa McLoughlin from Brighton, UK.
Tic Tac Toe Agility Ladder Relay
Drill Length: 10 minutes
Drill Category: Finisher
Equipment needed: 2x Agility Ladders, 9 White Cones, 3 Blue Cones, 3 Red Cones (cones can be any colour as long as they are the same)
How it works:
Step 1 – Setting Up
You’ll need to split the group into 2 teams.
The 2 agility ladders are placed parallel to each other, one ladder per team. The 9 white cones are laid out in a grid (3 rows of 3 – this is your Tic Tac Toe Board) approximately 6 strides beyond the end of the ladders. This can be varied depending on the desired length of the sprint.
Each team forms a queue in front of their ladder and the first 3 players are given a cone (one colour per team).
This workout is a relay style workout!
Step 2 – Quick explanation/demonstration
First explain/demonstrate to your teams the 5 different drills they will need to know:
- First drill: One foot at a time into each rung of the ladder, working all the way to the end of the ladder.
- Second drill: 2 steps forward and one back, until you get to the end of the ladder.
- Third drill: Hop scotch, 2 feet together into the first rung, and then jumping up and out so both feet land either side of the same rung and then jumping with both feet together into the next rung and so on, working all the way to top of ladder.
- Fourth drill: Fighters, stand sideways onto the ladder in boxing stance, tap whichever foot is leading into each rung of the ladder moving up the side of the ladder.
- Fifth drill: Crab steps, stand sideways onto the ladder, one foot at a time step systematically into each rung and out until you reach the top of the ladder.
Each person will need to perform the first drill, sprint to the Tic Tac Toe Board and place their cone on the board before sprinting back and high fiving the next person in their team.
On their second go each person performs the second drill and so on and so forth. (If the game goes on beyond 5 drills worth of rounds you would start back at the first drill again).
For safety, please make sure that the team on the left-hand side, sprint back to their team to the left and the team on the right-hand side sprint back to their team on the right-hand side.
The first three team members have a cone in their hand when doing the first drill and sprint then place this on the board when they reach it. Once all cones are placed, they are then moved by each player in succession to try and create 3 in a row either horizontally, vertically or diagonally.
Step 3 – Go!
Let the relay begin with a hearty ‘on your marks, get set, go!’ The first team to make a line of three in their colour, either horizontally, vertically or diagonally win!
Play best of 3, or best of 5 depending on how quickly the games are completed.
I founded Works Out Fitness in 2016, to promote active lifestyle and healthy living. Working full-time in an office I realised how important it is for people to take part in regular exercise. I started teaching Body Conditioning classes to my work colleagues and anyone else who was interested in joining in. I’m currently running both circuit training and Body Conditioning Boot Camps weekly helping people to stay motivated and keep active.