There are a number of elements that can contribute to a successful bootcamp.
Program design and exercise selection play a huge role, of course. Trainer interaction with campers and creating a strong camper community are pivotal. But is it possible that music choice can be a difference-maker? I know that when I work out in gyms and studios, I often hear the same music over and over again. So much so that when I hear something unexpected – maybe an obscure 80’s jam or an indie rock song – I get super excited and find myself working harder and enjoying the workout even more.
Additionally, campers generally come to bootcamp not to zone out into a workout, but to participate in an interactive environment. And, of course, to have FUN!
Much like a themed workout can create a memorable workout experience for your campers, a themed playlist can up the fun quotient and be yet another distinguishing factor between your bootcamp and a standard workout.
It is in this spirit that Bootcamp Ideas is introducing a series of playlists called BCI POWER JAMS. In this series, you will find specialized hour-long playlists that include a warm-up song at the beginning, a cool-down song at the end, and a hand-picked selection of killer tunes in between. And each playlist will focus on a different awesome theme for your workout.
The first BCI POWER JAMS playlist came from a workout I recently did at my camp. It had a little bit of everything – long runs, short runs, sprints, resistance training, plyometric training and static holds. As we were starting the workout, Eye of the Tiger by Survivor started playing, which prompted one of my campers to say…
“This workout is a MONTAGE!”
That got my wheels turning about how cool it would be to assemble a playlist that paid homage to the epic training montages that we saw so frequently in 1980’s movies. And of course, how can people NOT get fired up by music that often quite literally tells the story about movie heroes training for battle?
Your campers are warriors. And warriors need a MONTAGE!
So here it is, your first BCI POWER JAMS playlist, appropriately titled MONTAGE! It includes some classics you likely know well, mostly from Rocky movies (the soundtracks of which are montage playlists in and of themselves). You’ll also hear some “classics” you may just kind of remember, and some lesser-known lost gems from movies such as RAD and Transformers the Movie (as in, the animated 80’s Transformers the Movie).
It includes no fewer than five songs from Rocky movies, two songs by montage king Kenny Loggins, and at least one song used for a Kevin Bacon dance montage. And if you listen to the lyrics, this may very well be the most uplifting assembly of songs you will ever hear.
I dare you to play this playlist at your bootcamp and NOT have it result in smiles, laughter and an incredibly pumped-up group!
Without further ado…
BCI Power Jams: MONTAGE!
- WARM-UP: Vince DeCarlo – Training Montage (from Rocky IV)
- Bill Conti – Gonna Fly Now (from Rocky)
- Survivor – Eye of the Tiger (from Rocky IV)
- Frank Stallone – Far From Over (from Staying Alive)
- John Farnham – Break the Ice (from RAD)
- Stan Bush – You Got The Touch (from Transformers the Movie)
- Brian “Hacksaw” Williams – Push It To The Limit (from Scarface)
- Bonnie Tyler – Holding Out for a Hero (from Footloose)
- John Cafferty – Hearts on Fire (from Rocky IV)
- Kenny Loggins – Danger Zone (from Top Gun)
- Robert Tepper – No Easy Way Out (from Rocky IV)
- Pat Benatar – Invincible (from Legend of Billie Jean)
- Moving Pictures – Never (from Footloose)
- John Parr – St. Elmo’s Fire (Man in Motion)
- Kenny Loggins – Playing With The Boys (from Top Gun)
- COOL-DOWN: Vangelis – Chariots of Fire
Honorable mentions that didn’t make the final cut (mainly due to not being available on Spotify):
- Joe “Bean” Esposito – You’re the Best (from Karate Kid)
- DVDA – Montage (from Team America)
Is one of your favorite montage songs not included on this playlist? If so, share it in the comments!